Friday, April 21, 2006

Follow Up: Mr. Gordon, Is it really the peoples fault?

I responded to Mr. Gordon's remarks in the Meriden Record and received a response from him the next day and I thank him for that. At least our local politicians will respond to their constituents. More on our federal and state legislators in the next post.

What you say to someone is always presented differently as it is passed along. IF it was true to what Keith said then that needs to be discussed. But sound bites, as in a newspaper, can be "presented" in a totaly differently light. To give Keith the benefit of the doubt, below is my response to the article and Keith's response back to me.

My Response:

Mr. Gordon, I take exception to your comments in the Record- Journal article April 18th ($177.2M city budget hearing is a quiet one) as to the lack of participation by the Meriden constituents. There are a number of reasons as to the lack of participation:
1. One main reason is that people are not very comfortable in a public speaking environment. Not everyone can get up in front of a group and express themselves.

2. In today’s environment (or rat race) everybody is on the go. Kids need to be taken to their activities like baseball, basketball, dancing lessons, etc. I myself am going to school to get my bachelors degree and with classes on Tuesday and Thursday’s from 5:30 to 10PM and homework on top of that, time is a constraint.

3. Apathy is another problem. People feel why bother when their complaints go unanswered. Complaints about raising taxes don’t seem to bother our city manager. Comments like our residents wouldn’t mind a few mills raised for the services provided I don’t believe are a correct assumption. I mind!

4. The bottom line is fiscal responsibility. Officials were elected to represent the people in their best interest. This means if the money is not there, we look to cut spending, not raise taxes. I balance my budget by cutting back; I don’t have the option to ask my employer for more money. If we cannot hold the budget so we don’t increase taxes, then we have the wrong leaders in place. People should be going to these meetings as emergencies rise and immediate actions are needed. We depend on our elected officials to manage the rest. If this can’t be done, then we need to re-look at who we have running the city.

Thank you.

Mr. Gordon's Response:

Frank thanks for your comments. I have no control what the record journal prints. I was asked why I felt there was not a lot of people coming out at the public hearing. I told him I was not sure. I thought we would have more attending. I understand people do not want to speak in front of groups. I also understand why I have been elected and I try to do my best for those who have put their trust in me.

Now in regards to our up coming budget, Even if we do not add any additional services, our contractual agreements just in raises go up 3 to 3.5 each year. Our medical cost have risen over 18% just this year.

What we have been hearing is don't cut cops, fire fighters and teachers, library services and public works. So we are trying to do the best we can with what we receive in revenues from taxes and from state and federal money.

I am sorry you took exception to what the RJ printed but trust me it was not a meant to be slap to our tax payers. I understand time restraints on families, education and working. I also live these things each day and also pay taxes. Feel free and drop me a line anytime I always listen when someone contacts me. We might not always agree but if we don't talk we will never come to any type of solutions.

Good luck with your family and your degree and have a great day.

Keith


Mr. Gordon is abosluetly correct, We might not always agree but if we don't talk we will never come to any type of solutions. To all people, we need to get involved in how our goverment functions at all levels. We need to take back government before there are 2 classes, the rich and those in poverty. I encourage all Meriden residents that if they cannont make the meetings, please watch them on Cox Cable, email our leaders using the Meriden City Council Directory and the blog - Meriden City Council Talk!

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephen T. Zerio said...

Frank S:

Just came upon this, so sorry for the late observation, but good post, from both you and Keith.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home