Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 14 - Rest Day and Reflection

Today is day 14 and I decided to take today off to rest both physically and mentally. It's been a grind at work lately and I didn't want to get half way through week 3 and then feel it was more drudgery than something I want to do. I do feel a bit guilty for not doing ANYTHING today but that psyches me up more to begin week 3 tomorrow.

I wanted to post the changes I've had since the starting P90X but with other things going I didn't get the chance to take them, I'll post them tomorrow. One thing I did do this morning is weigh my self and I have lost 5 pounds since starting. I started at 220 and I'm ow down to 215. That 's a healthy 2.5 pounds a week which is about what you should do.

Reflection
I wanted to reflect and give my perspective on the P90X program so far. I went in a bit skeptical from trying all different types of diets, exercise programs, weights, machines, yada, yada, yada. I am convinced that I will see great results with P90X. Why? There are a number of reasons, let me list a few:
  • Nutrition: The book that is supplied has everything you need to purchase and arrange into your daily meals. The making of the meals can be done 3 different ways: By the meal plan they have (and there are some great recipes in there). The portion plan where they tell you how much of protiens, carbs and fats you need to eat and decide the portions for the different meals. There also is the quick approach where you can use Lean Cusine, Weight Watchers, etc. to substitute when you don't have the time.
  • The Program: Now I've only done the first block of workouts but I love the way it's set up. You work your muscles 3 days a week in the different combinations (days 1, 3, 5) and then it's aerobics/yoga/martial arts the other 3 days (days 2, 4, 6). It's a great way to build mass and then give the muscles the break from the weight and do cardio or yoga on the other 3. It keeps it very fresh. The day you work your muscles you also work your abs doing the AB RIPPER X workout. It's is painful to start but you will feel the difference in yourself after the 2 weeks.
TIPS
Here are a couple of tips when you get started that I found:
  1. Be prepared - Get everything you need prior to starting: food, the chin up bar, protein mix, protein bars, etc.
  2. Weights - Make sure you have the right dumbells to use. I found that using the POWERBLOCK interchangeable weights are great. Easy to use and cheaper than Bowflex.
  3. Time - Make sure you set aside the time each day to do it. It seems simple enough but unless you have it scheduled so you do it, you'll skip it.
  4. Mindset - This to me is the most important. Get yourself in the right mind to do it. Don't put all the pressure on yourself that you need to lose 20 pounds and 10 inches after 2 weeks. Great point from Tony, "Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was your body".
Give yourself a fighting chance, 90 days is a long time but it will go by fast. Stick with the nutrition, follow the program, get the right mind set and BRING IT.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home